Can education alone save our environment? A big question mark.
How would you react if I say an engineer working in MNC throws 5 to 6 buckets of water away every time he takes bath. What if I say an accountant working in an international firm keeps his bathroom’s light switched on forever because he feels good about it.
These are just two examples, there are many more. This leads to a very obvious question. Are degrees like B.Tech, BE, M.B.B.S, L.L.B, M.Sc etc enough to develop human mind to think about natural resources and environment. The answer is neither a yes nor a no. It hurts when I see top educated people wasting water, paper, electricity without realizing their significance. So whats the reason behind this. What I could figure out it that its not their fault alone. Neither our education system is 100% responsible for that. Yeah its not that good.
The most important role is of our society and the way we have grown up. Our parents and teachers never talked about it. Remember your childhood days? If you switched on a bulb or fan without use, what your mom and dad said about it. They must have told you to put them off because it will lead to an extra electricity bill. The same goes when you wasted some buckets of water in childhood. “Hey don’t waste water, do you know how much bill we have paid for last month.” This is the statement used by most of the parents to stop their children from wasting water, electricity etc. Nobody asks their kids to stop it for the good cause of our environment and other people who are deprived of these facilities. Eventually we grow up and earn enough money that a few extra bucks in bill doesn’t matter to us. We don’t think about the real effect of our activities.
When top educated people living in metros cant stop wastage then what we can expect uneducated people living in under-developed villages who don’t even know about rest of the world.
We can save a lot from our day to day activities.
Tips to save papers :
- Print your emails only when its required.
- Always take print on both sides of paper. Even if you need some print outs for a meeting, print it on both sides and bring an environment friendly culture in your organisation. If you are handling a team you can influence more people.
- If you are going for an interview always print your resume both side. Don’t think that it would make a negative impact. In fact it should make a very positive impact.
- If you are conducting a walk in drive or other recruitment event, ask the candidates to come up with resume on both sides of paper.
- Try to keep hanker chief in your pocket and make minimal use hand dryer and tissue papers.
- Opt for email bills in place of paper bills for your mobile connection, credit card and bank statements etc,
Tips to save electricity :
- Replace regular light bulbs with compact fluorescence.
- By switching off light at main power button, or even the socket, you would be saving energy and money both.
- Put lamps on the corner of a room to reflect light from two walls.
- If possible iron all cloths at one time.
- Sleep your computer when you are not using it.
- Turn off your lights and fans when you are not using it, even for a few minutes.
- Turn off your television, radio etc when not in use.
Tips to save water :
- Turn off the water after you wet your toothbrush. Turn it on only when you need water.
- When washing dishes by hand, don’t leave the water running for rinsing.
- Don’t let the faucet run while you clean vegetables. Just rinse them in a pan of clean water.
- If you have a bucket of water not to use, don’t just throw it away. Think for a minute if you can use that for some other purpose, it could be anything like cleaning your bathroom floor or watering plants etc.
- Check for leaks in pipes, faucets and couplings.
In the end I would say every small action matters. So take a resolution to be environment friendly. Even animals fight for themselves. We are human beings, we should think about nature, environment and other people who are deprived of the facilities we enjoy.
This article may have many flaws. I just tried to put my feelings in words. If you know more ways to save our environment, please write them down in feedback. Share this article for increasing awareness.